I will LOVE LOVE LOVE letters while I’m in Rwanda. Few things beat a letter arriving in the mail, especially letters and cards and photos from loved ones. I’m a strong believer in the power of snail mail!
If you want to write (or send me a package…it will take 3-6 weeks for a package, just FYI) my address during the three month training period will be:
United States Peace Corps
Some tips in sending me your wise words/inspirational wisdom/love letters/pictures/cards/nailpolish/whatever it may be:
- Put ‘Air mail’ / ‘Par Avion’ on the outside of the envelope. Supposively, this helps the mail move a little faster?
- Letters and regular mail will take about 2 weeks to arrive from the USA to Rwanda and vice versa.
- Mail is sporadic, however, so if it takes longer or shorter, don’t be surprised.
- For packages (most PC volunteers say they get them with few problems) and letters, I would write with RED on the outside if possible (apparently this makes it look more official?) You can also number your letters so I can know in what order to read them if received in a strange order. Finally, if sending a package, feel free to use LOTS of tape and even draw designs on the outside, so that way I can tell if it has been tampered or not.
- I will post a wish list on here once I know what I need (especially when it comes to teaching and needing teaching resources) so feel free to check back. A lot of of other PC volunteers have done this and have said that it’s easier to say what they need once they are settled in and living in Rwanda.
I plan on getting a phone when I am in Rwanda, and as soon as I have the available contact information I will certainly post that here too.
So, besides this blog, snail mail, and phone, you can also email me at email@example.com. I will try to stay in touch as much as I can, but as with most everything in this process, I just don’t know right now how much access to the internet I will have. I have read blogs from PC volunteers in Rwanda that have posted reguarly on their blogs, so it certainly seems promising.